Tomorrow is National Watermelon Day! I bet you thought this day would come and go just like all the other summer afternoons. Oh no, I’ve got something very special planned for you and it’s going to be a DIY discovery you’ll want to run with.
During the heated days of the season, entertaining can be hard. Coming up with priceless decor and recipes can really run you through the ringer. With summer savings going on now at Whole Foods Market, I’ve decided to create a recipe and a beautiful centerpiece for your next soiree. National Watermelon Day put me in the creative spirit and I came up with something that will utilize every part of your melon.
Thanks to expert florist Claudia at my local Whole Foods Market Preston-Forest, I was able to put together this one-in-a-melon floral arrangement that screams perfect. Here’s how we did it:
- Take a medium to large sized watermelon and a large rimmed cup or plate
- Trace around the cup/plate with a marker to create your perimeter
- Using a pumpkin carving or small knife, cut around the perimeter and remove that piece
- Using a large spoon, carve out the watermelon with enough room to fit a large plastic cup in the hollowed out area
- Choose your flowers (we chose roses, sunflowers, hydrangeas and tulips for ours but any of your favorites will do!)
- With thin clear tape, mark your cup length and width wise for spaces to stick your stems in
- Cut your flowers to reach the bottom of your watermelon vase and place them carefully into the tape slots
- Using the plant food provided by your favorite florist, fill the cup with water and food and insert into the watermelon
- Insert your flowers and voila! you have a beautiful melon arrangement
Now, what to do with that extra watermelon you carved out… make this delicious drink!
- 2 cups strawberries, hulled
- 1 cup watermelon chunks, seeds removed
- 1 cup crushed ice
- 1 tablespoon sugar, more to taste
- 1 (16-ounce) bottle strawberry-flavored sparkling water, well chilled
- Fresh mint, for garnish
Well, I think my work here is done. Have a blast celebrating tomorrow and in case you’re still shopping for any of these items, I have a pro-tip for you. Texas whole seedless watermelons are only $2.99 each (save $4) through August 8th at all DFW and Houston stores (plus other select regions). Now that’s a steal.
*Disclosure: I have a partnership with Whole Foods Market and was compensated for my work, but all words and opinions are my own.